FAMILY PRESERVATION ~ ADOPTION PREVENTION ~
REUNIFICATION ~ KINSHIP CARE ~ GUARDIANSHIP ~
Keeping families together is the main goal, rather than convincing parents that adoption is the only solution to a temporary problem or crisis (financial, homelessness, lack of food, single or teen parenthood, rape, or death of one or both parents). These circumstances do not have to lead to permanent separation by relinquishment to adoption. If a child is removed for safety reasons, the child still has parents and has a right to family reunification and to her identity and birth certificate.
Adoption is built upon the destruction of the original family unit, therefore, we must practice adoption prevention. If a child cannot be raised by her parents, kinship care and guardianship should replace the practice of “taking someone else’s child as your own”. Alternatives to adoption—kinship care and legal guardianship—provide loving homes for children while preserving the child’s identity, familial connections, and heritage. Adoption erases the child’s family of birth and identity. This is true even in step-parent and open adoption, which is a social arrangement, not a legal one, in which the adoptive parents have the final authority to end communications with the natural parents if they so choose. There is no court-ordered visitation with the natural parents or siblings. The adoptive parents are the only legal parents of the child, and the adoptee has no rights to the natural parents or siblings (who are children of the natural parents).
Adoption, even open adoption, causes a child’s Certificate of Live Birth to be sealed, and an amended one is then issued, fraudulently naming the parents of adoption as parents of birth. The “new” birth certificate gives the false impression that the re-named child was born to the parents on the document. This is misrepresentation of material facts—fraud perpetrated by the Registrar of Vital Statistics—when he affixes his signature and the State Seal to the “new” Certificate of Live Birth. Creating an adoption certificate to replace this fraudulent birth certificate is part of the solution. Not placing a child in the position of being manipulated by adoption is the only solution for the “best interest of the child”. The conditions of adoption bind the adoptee for life.
The sealed record in America began in 1930 with the idea to hide a child’s illegitimate status by inventing a new birth certificate. When illegitimate children were taken from their mothers, they were “legitimized” in adoption by a married couple. However, step-children, half and full orphans, and children born within a marriage who were taken away and then adopted, were born legitimately, but were still “legitimized” with new parents. Clearly, adoption was, and is, social control of sexual morality; the “unwed” mother was, and is, told she can move on without the proof of her transgressions. We know now that these women never recovered from the loss of their infants, yet we take newborns away from single women every day. Also, adoption has moved from providing parents for parentless children to providing children for childless couples. Adoption is a multi-billion dollar global industry providing the wealthy with the children of the poor.
ADOPTION vs. GUARDIANSHIP
A Comparison from http://www.findlaw.com/
(as quoted by http://www.amfor.net/: Americans for Open Records)
* ADOPTION: Parent’s rights are voluntarily relinquished or involuntarily terminated.
* GUARDIANSHIP: Parent/s’ rights may or may not be voluntarily relinquished or involuntarily terminated [may depend on whether the court declares parent/s “unfit” etc.]
* ADOPTION: Adopters given all rights and responsibilities that once belonged to Parents.
* GUARDIANSHIP: Guardian is given legal responsibility for the child and assumes rights of care, custody and supervision of the child.
* ADOPTION: When Adopters are married, BOTH spouses must adopt unless separated for more than a year.
* GUARDIANSHIP: When married EITHER ONE or BOTH spouses may be named Guardian.
* ADOPTION: Adoption is a permanent, lifelong, legal relationship which creates a “legal fiction” of the Adoptee with falsified birth certificate [restricts the Adoptee for life].
* GUARDIANSHIP: The child retains all rights for life. The Parent/s retain “residual rights” when parental rights have not yet been relinquished or terminated. These rights presently include: visitation, consent to adoption, choice of religion and the right to claim the body of a deceased child. The Court makes all decisions regarding the transfer of Guardianship, but the Parent/s can request that Guardianship be taken away from the Caregiver if parental rights have not been terminated. If the parent/s’ parental rights are terminated, the Guardian may legally adopt the child with Dept of Child and Family’s help [not favored because Guardianship better serves the Child than Adoption with individualized conditions of custody over time, including accountability, open records–all the things that Adoption activists claim they want Adoption to be].
* ADOPTION: All decisions are made by the Adopters. In most states, “Open Adoption” agreements between Parents and Adopters are separate from Adoption consents and agreement and are not enforceable by law [statute being tested in CA].
* GUARDIANSHIP: Major decisions regarding school, medical treatment and consent for other major life decisions are made by the Guardian. Parent/s retain rights such as choice of religion, visitation, consent to adoption, when personal rights have not been relinquished or terminated.
ANTI DONOR ANONYMITY ~ ~ ANTI GAMETE DONATION
As Molly Brown of PACER (Post Adoption Center for Education and Research) pointed out in the 1980s, sperm donation is “pre-meditated abandonment”. Even with known gamete donors, creating a child in this way places an unnecessary burden upon a child. Donor-Conceived adults are organizing and voicing their objections to how they were conceived. They are standing up for their rights, too.
These issues are explored in my book and in this blog. Please see Blogroll and Links.
… … …
“We also believe that one should end the Adoption Industry” – – – UAI – United Adoptees International, The Netherlands.
… … …
PRO-FAMILY PRESERVATION and REUNIFICATION
ORGANIZATIONS and BLOGS
UAI – United Adoptees International. United Adoptees International – News
www.iss-ssi.org International Social Services/International Reference Centre for the Rights of Children Deprived of their Family. Geneva, Switzerland
http://www.iss-ssi.org/2009/assets/files/news/haiti_position%20CIR_ENG.pdf . EARTHQUAKE IN HAITI: INTERCOUNTRY ADOPTION CASES. January 18, 2009
http://transracialabductees.org/. Transracial Abductees
Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute. Evan B Donaldson Adoption Institute
http://www.adoptioninstitute.org/media/20100115_press_haiti.php. INSTITUTE OFFERS CONDOLENCES, SUGGESTS PRIOR EMERGENCIES OFFER LESSONS FOR HAITI. 1-15-2010
http://www.adoptioninstitute.org/publications/2005_Brief_ICA_In_Emergencies_April.pdf. Intercountry Adoption in Emergencies: The Tsunami Orphans. April 2005
http://www.americasquarterly.org/haiti-orphans. Americas Quarterly
http://www.amfor.net/antiadoption/. Americans For Open Records – AmFOR. Abolish Adoption
http://www.amfor.net/humanrights.html. Human Rights and Adoption
http://www.amfor.net/church.html. Church, State and Adoption: Adoption Schemes that Violate Separation of Church and State
http://www.amfor.net/race.html. Adoption and Race
http://www.amfor.net/babybrokers/#haiti. Baby Brokers – Haiti
http://www.cubirthp arents.org. Concerned United Birthparents
http://www.cubirthp arents.org/ haiti.html. HAITI’S CHILDREN BEST SERVED BY CARE, NOT REMOVAL. 2-3-2010
http://familypreservation.blogspot.com/2010/01/call-for-signatures.html. Family Preservation Advocate. Letter to President Obama, et al, From Family Preservation Advocate and The USA Adoption Community. Call For Signatures
http://bastardnation.blogspot.com/. Bastard Nation
http://bastardnation.blogspot.com/2010/01/bastard-nation-statement-on-haitian.html. BASTARD NATION STATEMENT ON HAITIAN ADOPTIONS AND “BABYLIFTS”. 1-19-2010
Haiti Series: “It is Madness, It is Insane…” Bribes, Bullies and Traffickers Extract Kids, parts 1-3http://www.babylovechild.org/2010/02/. Many Blog Posts on Haitian children
Books on sale:
The Stork Market:
America’s Multi-Billion Unregulated Adoption Industry
by Mirah Riben
Challenges myths and exposes corruption: black and gray market adoption; scams, coercion exploitation, and international child trafficking, based on supply, demand and profiteering
shedding light on …
The Dark Side of Adoption
by M. Riben
… … …
Several blog posts relate to this topic: https://forbiddenfamily.wordpress.com/2010/02/02/californias-relative-caregiver-law-recognizes-guardianship-over-adoption-by-non-family-members/
https://forbiddenfamily.wordpress.com/2010/01/10/ab-1325-beall/ which includes the following letter announcing a California Bill allowing for Native American children to have a permanent home to take care of them without terminating parental rights and without seizing and sealing their birth certificates and falsifying new ones for these adoptees: